Many people ask me a question about the safety of scooters and motorcycles. Some think that scoters are safe and some agreed with a motorcycle. So, I dig into this question and did my own research. Here is what I found.
Are scooters safer than a motorcycle? Scooters are small, light-weight, less powerful two-wheeler vehicles but it doesn’t make it safe. It is actually more dangerous than motorcycles as it comes with small wheels. Small wheels vehicle becomes unreliable and imbalanced at high-speed. Thus, having small tires and less ground clearance makes it more prone to accidents.
Why is a scooter less safe than a motorcycle?
There are a few fundamental reasons that scooters are less safer than a motorcycle for this. Let’s see it in detail.
Smaller wheels in scooters make it more dangerous than a motorcycle. The scooter becomes unstable at high speed because of small wheels. Apart from this scooter also comes with low ground clearance as along as a small wheel.
It becomes a perfect situation to being imbalanced on roads potholes, debris, or bumps.
Apart from this if you ride your scooter at a slower speed than it runs smooth, but as you increase its speed it becomes unstable. And the main reason behind this is the distance between their wheels and their tire sizes.
Less Speed / Acceleration
“Although, people will say it is a good thing to have less-power and less-speed. Less speed will save us from many problems that happen due to uncontrolled speed.”
But.. it is sometimes more of a problem, you will not be able to overtake if required. And Many unexpected and dangerous situations can be avoided if you have enough power or speed to maneuver out of those vehicles quickly.
So, it just depends on the situation that less-power/speed is good or bad.
Less stable at High-speed
Scooters are unreliable and very unstable at high speed on the highways than motorcycles. Apart from this, the scooter chassis design makes it unstable for riding at high-speeds.
Because of the “step-through” chassis design, the rider can put his/her feet comfortably on the frame. But, it doesn’t provide a grip like motorcycles to maneuver in high-speed. That’s why you will see very few people riding at high-speed with scooters. Those who buy scooter usually rides in economical speeds generally.
Here are the reasons scooters are unstable in High-speeds:-
Small Wheels:- Scooter wheels generally comes in the range between “10 to 16 inches”. So, the small wheelbase and small wheels become unstable at high speed. Because of the tires being small in diameter the grip between the road and the tires are not that effective like motorcycles.
Also, there is a high chance of getting imbalanced if you road over any potholes on the road. Thus, having small wheels base and less ground clearance is the ultimate drawback of the scooter, if driving at high-speeds.
Being Light-weight:- Scooters are light-weight body then motorcycle which adds a factor of the unsuitability of riding at high-speed. Because already it has smaller wheels and light-weight body. Thus riding at high-speed with the scooter seems dangerous.
Step-through Chassis:- Scooter comes with the “step-through” chassis design, so the rider can put his/her feet comfortably on the frame. But, it doesn’t provide a grip like motorcycles to maneuver in high-speed. That’s why you will see very few people riding at high-speed with scooters.
So, adding all the factors the ultimate conclusion comes here is that for now, most scooters are not suitable to ride at high-speeds.
No protective gear
As the scooter comes with a low-CC engine which results in less-speeds. Thus most of the scooter riders don’t wear protective gear. as riders wear while riding motorcycles. Also, there are some idiots who don’t even bother to wear helmets.
These acts make them more available to the danger on the highway. Maybe you think, you are a good rider and won’t make mistakes. But there are going to be other drivers in different vehicles such as cars, motorcycles, trucks, etc.
What if you got hit by some vehicle, you will get seriously injured on your scooter because of not wearing protective gears.
Thus, itis always advisable to wear protective gear while riding on any two-wheels motor-powered vehicle.
Should I buy a scooter or a motorcycle?
Scooter and motorcycle both are two-wheeled vehicles with different chassis designs and purposes. As motorcycles are much safer than scooters in most cases. But, it doesn’t mean scooter doesn’t have their place. After reading this article you may have becomes aware of the safety if you have a scooter. Now “How will you decide to buy between scooter or motorcycle”?
Here are some simple reasons to help you to choose between a scooter and a motorcycle.
Reasons to choose Scooter
- If you just want to ride without getting into gear shifting and all that non-sense then a scooter is for you. With the scooter just get on the sit, turn on the scooter, “twist and go”.
- Scooters are good for commuting and shorts distances. So, if you are a student, an employer, or a housewife who wants to ride a short distance; then a scooter is a good choice.
- If you like the styles and comfort of the scooter then you should go for it. Apart from this scooter has more space to hold things under the seat than a motorcycle.
- If you are looking for a lesser speed and fuel-efficient vehicle then you can consider it.
Reason to choose Motorcycle
- If you are looking for power and high speed then you should go with the motorcycle.
- If you are looking for a balanced riding experience even at high speed then you should consider a motorcycle.
- Motorcycles come with manual speed transmission as well as a manual clutch, which gives you a more controlled riding experience with your motorcycles.
- Motorcycles generally have high ground clearance and larger diameter wheels than the scooter. Thus, it will not have a big impact even if there is a big pothole, debris on the road.
- Nowadays, motorcycles are also having good mileage as a scooter. So, there is no comparison here. Although, if you go with higher displacement motorcycles then it will consume more fuel.
- If you are looking to have a long trip along with a pillion then you should go with the motorcycle.
I have listed most of the reasons for both of the vehicles above. Now, you can make choices easily by reading them and matching your needs.
Are scooters better than motorcycles?
Scooters are better than motorcycles in some cases. Like scooters are easy to learn, cheaper, and fuel-efficient. It can fit riders apart from their gender. Also, the scooter doesn’t come with any clutch or gear system, so it becomes easy to learn and ride it. These things make scooter a good choice for everyone.
Why can’t a gearless scooter have as large wheels as a motorcycle?
The scooter comes with small wheels because it requires less torque for the same acceleration to rotate compared to a motorcycle. In order to provide speed and mileage with less cc non-geared engine, it uses small tires that can travel the same distance with less torque. That’s why gearless scooters can’t have large wheels.